Week 3: The final dance of the Soirees!
I am so impressed by the hard work, and determination that you all have for this piece! Extremely admirable work from everyone, and THANK YOU for sharing your videos with all of us! This is the final week of the challenge so keep it up! A watch party will be happening next week :)
If you need some help with the piece, check out a livestream that goes INDEPTH with this piece!
Alright everyone - this is the thread where we'll all be posting our daily updates.
Twice a week between August 30th - September 6th I hope to be reading your daily updates in this very thread right here!
Download the music:
Download a CLEAN Copy of the score
Download a score with section numbers for managing your practice!
Please use the following format when commenting (feel free to copy & paste!):
- Section you worked on:
- One thing you found easy:
- One thing you found difficult:
- (Optional): a video of you performing it!
Sample daily update:
- Section you worked on: No. 1
- One thing you found easy: Learning the notes, and rhythms were rather straight-forward, and not challenging!
- One thing you found difficult: Playing the trills/ornaments in an elegant way was what challenged me the most.
Feel free to make these updates as short or long as you wish!
This was a great experience--to learn something in a group and to watch everyone else working on the same piece!
I found the triplet sections difficult, particularly to make sure they sound well articulated. Also, memorization is always a challenge. I did manage to memorize the whole thing, and even though self-recording is new to me, I managed to figure out how to make a recording and I'm super happy with it, even with finger slips and memory slips and apparently a YouTube copyright claim? (Anyone know what to do about that??)
Oh, also... the first thing I did when Dominic announced this piece was to listen to recordings of it. I found the recording done by Horowitz just captivated me. He adds his own little cadenza at the end, so I wanted to play the same kind of cadenza at the end of my version.
I am a day late! No need to include me, I just wanted to make sure that I submitted
- Section you worked on: Sections 1-3
- One thing you found easy: The Chord Shapes, I haven't done much with large chords before and being able to jump around and grab huge chords with ease was really satisfying.
- One thing you found difficult: Is it too ridiculous to say everything? I struggled a lot with the second section, rhythm (especially at the end of the first section), also switching from such a serious dance to the section 2.
I usually do not play such difficult pieces (or loud pieces) but I wanted to give it a go. Excuse the multitude of mistakes!
I really enjoy doing these challenges! It’s very motivating and fun to be part of the community. I got about 2/3 finished with this piece, then the last week I got extremely busy. I plan to continue working on this until it is finished to have in my repertoire. Love the whimsical triplet section! I appreciate the great videos and pacing of the challenge by Dominic Cheli.
Hi all! Unfortunately i started practicing this super great tune way too late. Here's my one and only take of sections 1-3 with lots and lots of mistakes. However, it's all about participating. Right?