READ ME FIRST: Rules & FAQ for Liszt's Soirees De Vienne Community Challenge!
Hello Everyone! Welcome to our second tonebase Community Practice Challenge! Are you ready to learn some delightful music together?!
THREE WEEKS OF LIszt's "Soirees de Vienne No.6"
Download a CLEAN Copy of the score
Download a score with section numbers for managing your practice!
What are we doing?
- We are going to be learning as much of this work we can! The piece has many different parts so:
- our aim is to practice every day and post progress updates twice a week.
- There is absolutely no expectation of going through the entire work!
- You choose the sections you want to work on, but commit to practicing them regularly.
- A watch party featuring your submissions will take part at the end (date below!)
When does this take place?
- Challenge start: August 16th
- Practice days: August 16th - September 6th (21 days)
- Watch party: TBD! Stay Tuned! (← link coming soon!)
How to start:
- Start by practicing one section of your choice Feel free to start at the beginning or check out the various sections here!
- After 2-3 days, go to our Biweekly Updates thread and post about one thing you found easy, and one thing you found hard.
- If you are comfortable with it, add a video or audio of yourself performing it. This is optional, but it will allow you to share your progress with others!
I encourage you to post updates twice a week. No daily update expectation in this challenge! If you want to post daily though, feel free!
After you post an update:
- When you feel ready, move on to another section.
- Repeat steps 1-3 from above every day of the challenge.
- There is no limit on long you can spend on each section! Do whatever feels comfortable, as long as you keep practicing one of them every day.
Why are we doing this?
- Because we want to challenge ourselves to practice every day
- Because learning together is more fun than learning alone
- Because we get to share our progress with others (whether video or just text)
- Because new music is wonderful and these pieces were written especially for us!
- Because we want to meet our fellow tonebase community members
The Fun Part:
- At the end of our practice challenge, we will be hosting a WatchParty on tonebase LIVE! This will feature user submissions, community awards and shoutouts!
- This is planned for September 14th at 11 am Pacific (2 pm Eastern, 7 pm London, 8 pm CET)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I join the challenge if I wasn't there on August 16th?
Yes! Just make sure you keep practicing every day and updating us twice a week.
Do I have to go through the entire piece?
Absolutely not. You are free to go practice as much or little as you wish. Even spending the entire three weeks on a section can be very valuable!
I have a question, who do I ask?
Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you might have about this challenge! If you would prefer to ask something in a more confidential setting, please use my email: [email protected]
↓ Reply with other questions below ↓
Hi Dominic - Can you give some direction like you did in the last challenge? Easier sections, focus is on x,y,z etc... like you did before? I would like to do the challenge, but want to make sure I focus on something I can accomplish rather than jump into a section that is the hardest or something like that.
Originally I thought this was way above my level but I felt a bit better when seeing it in sections ( maybe I’ll try a few bars ) I believe this will be my first Liszt piece to study .
I look forward to hearing everybody play !
Dominic I listened to you play this on You tube and enjoyed it immensely.