READ ME FIRST: Rules & FAQ for HANDEL'S CHACONNE IN G MAJOR HWV 435 Practice Challenge!
Hello everyone and welcome to our Inaugural tonebase piano Community Practice Challenge! Are you ready to learn some beautiful music together?!
THREE WEEKS OF Handel's Chaconne in G major HWV 435
Download the music:
What are we doing?
- We are going to be learning some or all of the variations from Handel's Chaconne!
- The aim is to practice them every day and post progress updates twice a week.
- There is absolutely no expectation of going through the entire cycle.
- You choose how many variations you work on, but you commit to practicing them regularly.
- A watch party featuring your submissions will take part at the end (date below!)
When does this take place?
- Challenge start: June 17th (today!)
- Practice days: June 17th - July 8th (21 days)
- Watch party: TBD! Stay Tuned! (← link coming soon!)
How to start:
- Start by practicing one variation of your choice. Feel free to start with no. 1 or check out these SUGGESTED SELECTIONS
- After 2-3 days, go to our Biweekly Updates thread and post about one thing you found easy, and one thing you found hard.
- If you are comfortable with it, add a video or audio of yourself performing it. This is optional, but it will allow you to share your progress with others!
I encourage you to post updates twice a week. No daily update expectation in this challenge! If you want to post daily though, feel free!
After you post an update:
- When you feel ready, move on to another variation.
- Repeat steps 1-3 from above every day of the challenge.
- There is no limit on long you can spend on each variation! Do whatever feels comfortable, as long as you keep practicing one of them every day.
Why are we doing this?
- Because we want to challenge ourselves to practice every day
- Because learning together is more fun than learning alone
- Because we get to share our progress with others (whether video or just text)
- Because new music is wonderful and these pieces were written especially for us!
- Because we want to meet our fellow tonebase community members
The Fun Part:
- At the end of our practice challenge, we will be hosting a Watch Party on tonebase LIVE! This will feature user submissions, community awards and shoutouts!
- This is planned for July 10th at 11 am Pacific (2 pm Eastern, 7 pm London, 8 pm CET)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I join the challenge if I wasn't there on June 17th?
Yes! Just make sure you keep practicing every day and updating us twice a week.
Do I have to go through 21 variations?
Absolutely not. You are free to go practice as few or as many as you wish. Even spending the entire three weeks on a single variation can be very valuable!
I have a question, who do I ask?
Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you might have about this challenge! If you would prefer to ask something in a more confidential setting, please use my email: [email protected]
Can I do more than one variation per day?
Of course! As always, this challenge is for you - do with it what you wish. As long as you 1) practice every day; 2) keep track of your progress; 3) share your progress with others - you are fully participating! Of course I won't be mad if this is too easy for you
↓ Reply with other questions below ↓
First time I will try something like this and will go the first bit, then variations 1, maybe 2 and definitely 21 which will be plenty for me in three weeks as am no where near as advanced as most of you.. Will find the ornamentation hard. Have listened to some bits on you tube and it is amazing music